Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What's everyone's plans for 2020?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Looking into getting an accountant from April next year. If work keeps coming in then I will be looking to go down the limited company route and get my low prices up. Get a new logo and even consider a new van when I can claim my vat back. Its all looking very promising for me considering I have bought a lot of new equipment. Cleaning the church's windows today and used over 100 litres of hotwater. I thought I would use a lot of diesel but never made a dent on the fuel gauge so more than happy with the heater. Eliminating folk who don't pay me is another thing I will be acting on, don't need the hassle. Concentrating on higher value homes where plenty of my add-ons come from and bodyswerving the time wasters who continually ask for cheaper prices. All in all going to be a bit more ruthless and chase repeat work.
If VAT isn't a problem to you just register now, you don't need to wait to reach the threshold before applying. You can claim VAT on capital expenditure from a year before if memory serves me right. You need to have a consultation with an Accountant, usually the first hour is free.

Commercial I am all for wfp insane if any one still uses ladder for a commercial but people still appreciate a domestic traditional cleaner. People say its quicker and yes it is in a way but unless you have the full streets the trad will finish 1 customer walk to the next house 1 door down complete the back by the time the wfp guy has reeled his hose in and moved on, as trad stopping ladders off for 1 isn't cost efficient and wfp could of course do it quicker I have built up runs and earn a minimum of£40/50 at least per hour dont use go cardless etc have a brilliant customer relationship. (Reason for this post if your a trad guy dont be disheartened by everyones else's view on it) ps had a few a beers so would love to here everyones opinion on this

If you have a street full of semis then wfp is quicker and safer. If you have terraced street where you have to do front and back then trad could well be quicker. Where wfp clicks is we can clean glass, sills, frames and doors in the same time as glass only trad guys.

Whilst their cost base is way lower so is the level of service. Before the trad guys start biting back the above is a generalisation 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a street full of semis then wfp is quicker and safer. If you have terraced street where you have to do front and back then trad could well be quicker. Where wfp clicks is we can clean glass, sills, frames and doors in the same time as glass only trad guys.

Whilst their cost base is way lower so is the level of service. Before the trad guys start biting back the above is a generalisation 
I'm all for feedback wfp is better as a trad I will say that happily quicker sometimes more professional looking 100%. I'm open minded most customers think wfp is just a splash of water which as a trad I know its purified and keeps windows cleaner for longer once you've got rid of the ex trades suds but alot of customers dont know this 

When Tradding I wipe the sills and frames....oh and I clean the glass (lol)

The thing is soon you'll have the new wfp brigade taking on the trad boys on price. Soon everyone will accept the wfp concept and we, those with standards, will still be competing against cowboys, no matter what their cleaning methods 
If that happens, many who now say would not consider cleaning or turning up at a property for anything less than £** will have to change their mentality to compete.

Course new van kitted out with latest WFP system etc needs to be payed for ,plus fancy logo etc.....but hey Squeegee rubbers cost money too you know!!! (lol).

If VAT isn't a problem to you just register now, you don't need to wait to reach the threshold before applying. You can claim VAT on capital expenditure from a year before if memory serves me right. You need to have a consultation with an Accountant, usually the first hour is free.

That's very handy to know because I have spent near £30k this tax year. There's 20% vat on diesel, I wonder if one can claim that back? Next year is now looking a lot promising if my £6k vat back could be used on a new van. As you say PT I need to speak to an accountant and my school mate is the very fellow. ?

You can generally reclaim VAT on goods you bought up to 4 years before you registered for VAT and services you bought up to 6 months before you registered as long as the following conditions are met; The goods were bought by you as the entity that is now registered for VAT.

This could be my best Christmas every going by the above and read below.

Small business owners can claim back VAT on products and services shared between the business and also used personally. If you run your business from home, you can claim back a proportion of VAT on services such as utilities and broadband

I read a book called "The money game by Adam Smith" it stated that the limited company is the best money secret anyone can have.

You can generally reclaim VAT on goods you bought up to 4 years before you registered for VAT and services you bought up to 6 months before you registered as long as the following conditions are met; The goods were bought by you as the entity that is now registered for VAT.

Small business owners can claim back VAT on products and services shared between the business and also used personally. If you run your business from home, you can claim back a proportion of VAT on services such as utilities and broadband

I read a book called "The money game by Adam Smith" it stated that the limited company is the best money secret anyone can have.
That's true but for example when I started all my good credit was tied up in my personal account. So if you want to expand or make buys on credit fast, sometimes its easier to take that van (example) out against your own credit rather than wait until the ltd  company can build a good credit footprint 

Ps merry Christmas guys

Trouble of claiming everything is keeping all the receipts and logging every claim. Time involved can be overwhelming, that's why I mentioned the Fixed Rate Scheme. On this you just pay them a percentage of your turnover, including VAT, without having to go through each receipt.

Trouble of claiming everything is keeping all the receipts and logging every claim. Time involved can be overwhelming, that's why I mentioned the Fixed Rate Scheme. On this you just pay them a percentage of your turnover, including VAT, without having to go through each receipt.

I know what you mean as I have a biscuit tin full of receipts. Read that the Inland Revenue will accept a Business Bank Statement with a purchase made with its debit card. I knew there was a reason why you need a business account when running a business.

One of my customer's ask me to clear gutters and clean windows every 3 months. I quoted £200 because it's a mansion and they were very happy with the quote. Gave me an idea to offer the same service with the church because gutters are full every year. Going to offer same service to my sister as she has a massive house and doesn't get her windows cleaned each month. This set-up will now be in my quarterly service with a price of £200 which should take me half a day. ?

Employ, fill another van, go on one of Mr conways training courses and a pasma course ready to start taking on more roof cleans & softwashing jobs. Busy year ahead 

Employ, fill another van, go on one of Mr conways training courses and a pasma course ready to start taking on more roof cleans & softwashing jobs. Busy year ahead 
What courses are those do you have links? Getting 2k free funding for courses up here u see

Latest Posts

Back