Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What's everyone's plans for 2020?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

There's another thing we could all do to increase our business, new skills. I fitted two soil pipe brackets and replaced a pvc downpipe, which was fully blocked yesterday. All in all 2hrs it took me but I did get soaked grinding into the old downpipe. Received £200 and the material cost me £50 and then went a few streets away to clear a gutter for £50. Anyone of us can do it, all you need is a grinder, hammer drill, screw drill and all must be battery type. Once we have gained our customers confidence then they come to us for advice on their property maintenance. I am a Joiner to trade and this was the first thing that struck me by becoming a window cleaner, the add-ons. There's a vast amount of small jobs that they need done and no one seems to want to do them bar me. Other windies refuse point blank to clean upvc and some won't even clear gutters. I realised that when I had started cleaning windows that I had stumbled on a worker's paradise and took full advantage of it and didn't need to stand on anyones toes to get it. My customers told me handymen want bigger jobs and their window cleaners were too busy and not really interested, that's why I'm getting busier each month with work begetting work. Fixed a leaking roof with CT1 and then my customer asked me to fix her mother in law's roof leak because her window cleaner stood on the plastic roof vent. Around I went and CT1 again was used till I pick up a new roof vent. She is not happy with window cleaner standing on her roof but if he had a wfp he wouldn't have to. I might end up getting the window cleaning job for a tenner a month which is dearer but she doesn't need to replace her kitchen ceiling every 5yrs. ?
Most of us don’t have to take on ? jobs like that as our rounds are completely full.

I see you enjoy doing a wide variety of work and never get bored,but I'm quite the opposite I like to just stick to window cleaning and maybe do a few corny roofs and fsg's in the spring and summer months which although paying well are more tiring.

My favourite jobs are tight, estate maintenance cleans.

We're all different which is what makes it interesting. 
Same. If your busy on windows there just becomes a time when something has to go, and for me that was add ons. So others will do them for me now

I miss the variety myself but regular window custom is for me also the better thing to focus on. 

Same. If your busy on windows there just becomes a time when something has to go, and for me that was add ons. So others will do them for me now

I miss the variety myself but regular window custom is for me also the better thing to focus on. 

Totally understand, I only have 100 customers and can do them in 5 days. If I continue to get busy then I would be in the same situation unless I take someone on and run two vans. The work is growing in Scotland because we have an aging population and no one has spare time to do it.

Totally understand, I only have 100 customers and can do them in 5 days. If I continue to get busy then I would be in the same situation unless I take someone on and run two vans. The work is growing in Scotland because we have an aging population and no one has spare time to do it.
Big increase in bought new build estates here too now. This seems to just become the type of house that always has a window cleaner.

Big increase in bought new build estates here too now. This seems to just become the type of house that always has a window cleaner.

Aye, no council houses getting built and many are now bought. For last 15yrs there has been no new houses built around where I live. I heard ScotGov passed a law that would charge councils for sitting on land so house building is back in vogue. Good for us because the houses are in the high end bracket.

Looking to increase our residential block management business by 50% and 25% on our maintenance contracts which will include switching to wfp systems and here is where I'm looking for some advice on pricing.   If you have a 3 story building what do you charge per window as you go up in height as I've just taken on a new development who also wants gutter cleaning so I'm thinking of buying a system to increase our service offering but again not sure on pricing in this area too.  Just before Christmas we also teamed up with an estate agent so hopefully with will bring us new opportunities and challenges.

What do you not like about the electric van?

Thanks
honestly it’s the best thing from sliced bread. I need 3 seats now with 2 kids and I’m putting a bigger tank in the new van. When they do bring out vivaro electric etc they are also going to be unaffordable for a while yet ! 

honestly it’s the best thing from sliced bread. I need 3 seats now with 2 kids and I’m putting a bigger tank in the new van. When they do bring out vivaro electric etc they are also going to be unaffordable for a while yet ! 

And Ime guessing poor payload due to battery weight ???

And Ime guessing poor payload due to battery weight ???
yes the payload is like 700kg, the saving on fuel is unbelievable, probably £15 a week compared to near £50 in my old vivaro, free tax , zero engine maintenance ? . I’m probably mad selling it but would consider a decent electric car once they are down on price

yes the payload is like 700kg, the saving on fuel is unbelievable, probably £15 a week compared to near £50 in my old vivaro, free tax , zero engine maintenance ? . I’m probably mad selling it but would consider a decent electric car once they are down on price
Diesel nv200 could only carry 750kg so that's not bad

It would certainly make a great one man van or for someone who can nip home and fill up with water 
I liked mine. I just couldn't fit the pressure washer in it with the system I had in it. Had a trailer with it for a while but..amazing on fuel even diesel wise and great van

I liked mine. I just couldn't fit the pressure washer in it with the system I had in it. Had a trailer with it for a while but..amazing on fuel even diesel wise and great van
Mine isn’t too bad for room , I’ve a 250litre upright and have the reels mid mounted infront of it , absolutely no room though when the pressure washer goes in ?

Mine isn’t too bad for room , I’ve a 250litre upright and have the reels mid mounted infront of it , absolutely no room though when the pressure washer goes in ?
Brilliant haha. Yeah I was grippa 500 which was over weight with it in to be honest and it's more of a lie flat tank..almost cube shaped 

I was doing a 4hr gutter clear and window clean on a big house yesterday. I just plugged their garden hose in from the moment I arrived. Ended up leaving with more pure water than before I arrived. Going to purchase a pair of 3mm jets which should be good for rinsing their massive conny which also has a glass roof.

I was doing a 4hr gutter clear and window clean on a big house yesterday. I just plugged their garden hose in from the moment I arrived. Ended up leaving with more pure water than before I arrived. Going to purchase a pair of 3mm jets which should be good for rinsing their massive conny which also has a glass roof.

Look this item up on ebay. You can attach from their tap direct to pole hose and clean things with tap water ie upvc cleans or this conny

And rinse with pure at the end 

Think i will have another crack at employing, getting bored on my own.

Probably going to try to add some big ticket jobs such as roof cleaning to break the boredom

Ah cool! Yeh tower was manic that night, was stuck for a while down near the cinema, so Parked up by the Tesco in the end.

What areas do you cover?

Oh and new Star Wars isn’t great btw ??
I heard your little beep today at the lights in Ensbury Park ?

Latest Posts

Back