Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ro production nightmare

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Once the CFB Plus is exhausted it will cause pressure drop. Also if it has a crack in the filter I have known it to reduce the flow in the membrane.

You could try and put one filter at at time to see which was is the problem.
@doug atkinson Tried it just now sediment filter only good flow rate and tds of 8ppm, Carbon filter only slower flow than sediment tds 8ppm , No pre-filters at all tds 8ppm

After trying each pre filter separately I fitted both in and the slow production began all over again, So removed sediment filter as I have never had a issue with sediment at all and just ran carbon filter pure production reading is 8ppm. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@spruce would happen to know what size flow restrictor i would need for my 450gpd ro as I think I may need one but can't find any specific info online 

@spruce would happen to know what size flow restrictor i would need for my 450gpd ro as I think I may need one but can't find any specific info online 

I would replace the restrictor with an inline tap that I could adjust to reduce the amount of water to waste. I'm sure that this will then help with your booster pump as not so much water is leaking away.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Guest-1-4-Speedfit-Water-Filter-Push-Fit-Tap-Connectors-Filter-Tubing-Blue/221592989884?hash=item3397f8b0bc%3Am%3AmtnkAUsTxx5bF32fk7ZPp7Q&var=520451983412&_sacat=0&_nkw=1%2F4"+john+guest+tap&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

You would set this to a 50/50 waste to pure ratio and leave it. When flushing you use your existing flush valve.

We don't need a 3 to 1 waste restrictor in our part of the world. (When I changed my 75gpd membranes for 150gpd ones that I bought from RoMan 12 years ago, they supplied the inline restrictor. I don't know which one it was. I have also asked myself which restrictor it was tbh. There is no indication on the restrictor to identify it)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I would replace the restrictor with an inline tap that I could adjust to reduce the amount of water to waste. I'm sure that this will then help with your booster pump as not so much water is leaking away.

Something like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Guest-1-4-Speedfit-Water-Filter-Push-Fit-Tap-Connectors-Filter-Tubing-Blue/221592989884?hash=item3397f8b0bc%3Am%3AmtnkAUsTxx5bF32fk7ZPp7Q&var=520451983412&_sacat=0&_nkw=1%2F4"+john+guest+tap&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

You would set this to a 50/50 waste to pure ratio and leave it. When flushing you use your existing flush valve.

We don't need a 3 to 1 waste restrictor in our part of the world. (When I changed my 75gpd membranes for 150gpd ones that I bought from RoMan 12 years ago, they supplied the inline restrictor. I don't know which one it was. I have also asked myself which restrictor it was tbh. There is no indication on the restrictor to identify it)

Thanks Spruce were would I place this on my RO and would it need in line connectors, I remember my first ro from purefreedom years ago and it had no flow restrictor at all just a flush valve.

County Durham Lad

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just thinking surely I could just use the tap I have a I did a test like this last week with waste @ 60 and pure @ 40 as I am sure this how some suppliers set their up

County Durham Lad

Thanks Spruce were would I place this on my RO and would it need in line connectors, I remember my first ro from purefreedom years ago and it had no flow restrictor at all just a flush valve.

County Durham Lad

I would remove the restrictor you have and replace it with this on/off tap.

Someone on the forum showed a photo of how his worked about a year ago.  @Dave Bmaybe?

If you looking on this video clip from 21.20 you will see what it looks like @Iron Giant

Look more closely from 22.25 as this is using a fully closing tap that you open sightly to set your flow ratio. Once set you never touch that tap. The other tap you open fully for flushing and close fully when producing water.

If you looking on this video clip from 21.20 you will see what it looks like [mention=3115]Iron Giant[/mention]

Look more closely from 22.25 as this is using a fully closing tap that you open sightly to set your flow ratio. Once set you never touch that tap. The other tap you open fully for flushing and close fully when producing water.
Thanks Spruce you're a legend, I just need a tap valve to replace my restrictor

County Durham Lad

Thanks Spruce you're a legend, I just need a tap valve to replace my restrictor

County Durham Lad

Yes. That's what I would do. But you must make sure that the tap you are ordering will shut off completely. Those ones Gardiners sell have a hole that will let a certain amount of water pass when switched off. They work the same way as that restrictor does that you have already.

Yes. That's what I would do. But you must make sure that the tap you are ordering will shut off completely. Those ones Gardiners sell have a hole that will let a certain amount of water pass when switched off. They work the same way as that restrictor does that you have already.
Ordered one from Gardiners already to get one ASAP [emoji24]. I will order the one off ebay you linked and will switch the flow restrictor when it lands.

County Durham Lad

Ordered one from Gardiners already to get one ASAP
emoji24.png
. I will order the one off ebay you linked and will switch the flow restrictor when it lands.

County Durham Lad

Ops. I hope its a 1/4" for 1/4" John Guest pipe.

I recently had problems with my RO after buying some membranes that didn’t perform to great also I renewed my flow restrictor as I thought that could have been at fault n my case it wasn’t the flow restrictor but was the membranes this is the flow restrictor for my 450gpd in pic below if that helps.

8F8223E1-051C-4245-A169-0846899C3E97.jpeg

I just use a tap and then use 2 jugs to measure how much water the waste and pure produce over a minute

You ideally want the ratio 60/40 waste/pure

The restrictors are quite wastefull using about 2l waste to 1l pure which I find too wastefull

I have got a 450gpd restrictor on at the moment as i need some new taps but will set it up again like that soon

I recently had problems with my RO after buying some membranes that didn’t perform to great also I renewed my flow restrictor as I thought that could have been at fault n my case it wasn’t the flow restrictor but was the membranes this is the flow restrictor for my 450gpd in pic below if that helps.

View attachment 14388
Could be what is rated at a 450cc which is some I came across on amazon

I just use a tap and then use 2 jugs to measure how much water the waste and pure produce over a minute

You ideally want the ratio 60/40 waste/pure

The restrictors are quite wastefull using about 2l waste to 1l pure which I find too wastefull

I have got a 450gpd restrictor on at the moment as i need some new taps but will set it up again like that soon
Thanks @Dave B & @spruce I will try this method, But put in some new pre-filters after work today and pure output is 1l every 1min 20 seconds but when I put the booster pump on pure output almost doubles, Its still a bit noisy like last week with air getting in some where maybe but my I think because of the JG tubing its pushing the JG stem insert up a little on the outlet of the pump so I have ordered some elbows to try and elevate this and just see what happens I have tweaked and changed most things now ?

Pure Freedom have the recommended booster pump that would work with your r/o.
https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/24v-aquatec-reverse-osmosis-booster-pump/
https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/transformer-for-our-24v-aquatec-reverse-osmosis-booster-pump/

It 'plugs' into the line between the prefilters and your first membrane. It uses John Guest push in connectors which I presume are 1/4" matching the standard r/o tubing that the r/o uses.
I would order a length of tubing just to make sure that you have enough to place your booster pump where its most convenient for you.
@spruce also recommended that booster to me as I was going to invest in a higher priced larger capacity clarke booster. Glad I took his advice as the clarke would of probably damaged my RO.
And the pure freedom booster?
Amazing. Pressure went from 38 psi to 90 so I've tweaked my flush valve to get it down to 85 and drops tds post RO from 24 to 12/14. Old booster from new only boosted psi from 38 to 55 on a good day. Sourced old booster from xline.
James on a sales pitch day I guess "That's definitely the right booster for a 450gpd system" he said.
World's apart they are.

I've not fully read rest of thread in case this has been done to the death.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Once again, have a got my R/O set up correctly scratching my head after changing membranes and looking at some old photos in this post. 

I have a booster pump set up above the R/O so blue pipe from pre-filters is going to the pump and blue pipe is coming down from the booster pump to the lowest membrane and the blue pipe going up into the air from the closet T piece is the pure feed going into the tank. 

PXL_20210130_105334684.jpg

PXL_20210130_105601818.jpg

PXL_20210130_105528025.jpg

PXL_20210130_105408595.jpg

PXL_20210130_105441941.jpg

Back